As consumer habits have shifted toward streaming, the media & entertainment industry has responded by utilizing more cloud-native solutions to transform & deliver their content. This shift of media processing from legacy on-premise systems, such as MAM/DAM and transcoder farms, to purpose-built media supply chain systems has accelerated in the last couple years, and as a leader cloud-native media supply chain company, we’ve outlined five reasons that our customers cite when engaging with us to move their supply chains to the cloud.
- Agility – Not having control of the content when needed is a real pain point for many companies. With the proliferation of platforms and delivery formats in recent years, the need to access media libraries quickly and efficiently, as well as distribute that content quickly and efficiently, has increased significantly. By moving their operations to the cloud, our customers are still able to have access to their content hub, and maintain full control over their media ingest & deliveries from any internet-accessible location.
- Optimization – In a cloud-native media supply chain, content owners don’t need to pull down content onto an on-prem system for transcode, packaging & delivery to an OTT platform, since this entire process can occur natively in the cloud. Furthermore, multiple versions of the same piece of content within storage archives can cause significant cost and inefficiency in the longer term. With the ability to utilize AI tools, like Ateliere’s Deep Analysis, in the cloud that can filter and de-duplicate that content enables our customers to use their content libraries in the most optimal way. Companies can save over 70% of their ongoing storage costs by consolidating their duplicate versions during a cloud migration.
- Cost effectiveness – One of the most apparent advantages is the reduction of capital expenditure (CapEx) necessary for having and maintaining an on-premises infrastructure (which has historically been sized for the worst-case scenario, requiring maintenance, upgrades & IT support to be paid regardless of whether the capacity is utilized or not). On the other hand, software as a service (SaaS) moves the entire infrastructure and software operations to the cloud, transforming the costs into operational expenses (OpEx) leading to a drastic reduction in both the up-front costs as well as the ongoing operational costs.
- Scalability – When utilizing the public cloud for media operations, our customers are able to scale ingest, transcode, packaging & delivery functions, including Interoperable Master File Format asset transcoding, which can be performed 10 to 20 times faster than conventional on-premise methods. Since our Ateliere Connect platform scales on-demand, our customers volumes can increase without seeing dramatic changes to their overall processing & delivery times.
- Security – One of the biggest reasons we’ve noticed companies can be reluctant to move their data over to the Cloud is due to security concerns over data breaches which can either leak content before its intended release, or cause loss of irreplaceable data. This is why the Trusted Partner Network (TPN) exists. The TPN is a joint venture between two major entertainment industry associations, the Motion Picture Association and the Content Delivery and Security Association. The TPN establishes a benchmark for security preparedness for all vendors, including cloud vendors. We are proud to be one of the newest members of the TPN further proving our commitment to secure cloud-based workflows.
The reality is, nearly the entire M&E industry is now using the cloud in some form to collaborate, be productive, and work efficiently. The demand for cloud-native media supply chain platforms that offer a flexible implementation model as either a wholesale replacement for legacy on-premise systems or the augmentation of existing infrastructure and workflows continues to increase.
If you are interested in learning more about utilizing the cloud for your media supply chain needs and how we can help, please get in touch and contact us here.